The Darling Quarter project is a redevelopment of the 1.5 ha ex-Sega World site located at the southern end of Darling Harbour, between Harbour Street and the Western Distributor Freeway, overlooking Tumbalong Park. The project consists of a low rise campus style commercial development, known as Commonwealth Bank Place, with 58000m² of commercial space and 3000m² of Ground Floor retail space across two new eight storey buildings. In addition there is a children’s theatre, a new park and playground area, and four levels of basement parking.
The development achieved a 6-star Green Star office V2 Design Rating and is targeting a 6-star Green Star V3 As-Built Rating and 5-star NABERS rating. The project incorporates a number of sustainability initiatives, including rain water harvesting, on site recycled water treatment, onsite trigeneration system, carbon emission reduction through energy efficient design, recycled construction waste, and a high performance facade designed to maximise natural light and minimise heat gain.
Our engagement involved the commissioning management of all services, including the Green Star role of Independent Commissioning Agent (ICA).
Responsibilities included the:
- development of a commissioning plan.
- review of design and contract documentation to provide input into the planning, inspection and witnessing, and reporting of the building services commissioning process.
- introduction of commissioning strategies and standards.
- review workshop drawings and contractor documentation, including commissioning manuals, method statements and commissioning programmes.
- development of specific Integrated Systems Testing (IST) procedures.
- creation of the Building Users Guide (Green Star).
- final commissioning report, including involvement in the ongoing 12 month fine tuning process.
During the project our scope was expanded to include the services fitout of the buildings for the major tenant, Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA). This focused primarily on preparing a commissioning report to show compliance with targeted credit under Green Star Office Interiors v1.1 rating.
Engineering Commissioning Services is an independent commissioning management enterprise established by the NDY group. NDY was the commissioning manager and also fulfilled the role of Independent Commissioning Agent for the Green Star criteria for Darling Quarter.